Monday, January 6, 2014

Birthday Blizzard

Blizzard Jan 3, 2014
Hi Mom!

I hope you all had a good New Year! This last week was filled with adventures. Sister Laxton and I traveled to Wolfville for exchanges with the Sister Training Leader and her companion. It was fun to be in a different area and to learn from working with Sister Pizzey and her companion Sister Aslett. While we were there, the temperatures officially reached snot-freezing cold. -20 C with wind and humidity. Knocking and contacting in that weather was quite the experience! The next day we had a blizzard. One by one all of our appointments dropped until we only had one left. Sister Laxton and I got all bundled up to go out in the snow.  We got to the bus stop amid being pelted by snowflakes (that doesn't sound that bad, but it hurt!). When the bus pulled up the bus driver leaned out and said that all the buses were cancelled and being pulled off the roads. We decided that we should go back home and do what we could inside that day. Sister Jungheim took those pictures of us when we got back.

The YSA are slowly coming back from Christmas break and yesterday we had a good turnout for church. A few of our investigators came and some less actives as well. It was such a good feeling! Sister Laxton and I are excited for things to get back to normal as school starts. Someone that the Elders are teaching is being baptized this Saturday.  He is Chinese-Korean. There's a long story behind that, that he loves to tell. He's hilarious and everyone is so excited for his baptism this Saturday. Theresa came to church yesterday as well, and she shared her testimony of Jesus Christ and the Holy Ghost in testimony meeting as well. I am so amazed by the faith of others. I have met so many amazing people since I have been here, each one offering something that only they can teach me. Often, the Lord works through them to answer my prayers and to teach me the things He wants me to learn. Hopefully the reverse is true as well, that the Lord is using me to teach His children as well.
I haven't received your package yet, but I'm sure it will be here soon.
The Book of Mormon challenge is going well. I'm in the Isaiah chapters right now, which takes longer to read. The more I read Isaiah, though, the more I like it and can slowly start to chip away at his imagery and poetic style.
I hope that things are well back home. I love you all! I hope you are feeling better, Mom! (Or as they say here, Mum) Tell Dad that I love him too. Have a good week!

Love,
Sister Maren Renda

Sunday January 5, 2014 was Maren's 21st Birthday.  Her companion and the other sisters in her apartment gave her a little party.  We also celebrated at home with a cake and ice cream and singing happy birthday to her on video and then attached the pictures and video in her email this week.  


No comments:

Post a Comment