Monday, December 2, 2013

Transfers? Not Me.


 
Sister Laxton at Peggy's Cove
Hello from the Great White North! (Although, there isn't much white here yet...)
This week is transfers. President Leavitt sends emails out the weekend before transfers to let us know our assignments for the next transfer. Sister Laxton and I are staying here in Halifax. Sister Lee is being transferred to Sackville to open the area for sister missionaries. Sister Jungheim is staying in the Halifax Family Ward and her new companion will be Sister Coleman. Transfers happen on Thursday. On Wednesday we are going to the Halifax temple! I am really excited as I haven't been to the temple here yet. The temple is in Dartmouth, on the other side of the harbor.

Last Monday we went to Peggy's Cove. I'm hoping to send some pictures if I have time.
The rocky shore at Peggy's Cove
Beautiful Peggy's Cove, 1 hour Southwest of Halifax on Saint Margaret's Bay
Peggy's Point Lighthouse built in 1915
Peggy's Point Lighthouse is the most photographed Lighthouse in Nova Scotia
This week was filled with adventures. We have a new branch president, President MacLennon. He and his wife just returned from serving as missionaries in our mission. They were home about a week and then called to serve in the YSA branch. I am really excited to work with them, especially since we haven't had a branch president since Sister Laxton and I got here. They invited us over on Thursday night for American Thanksgiving. Sister MacLennon told us that she had been looking for some Americans to invite over for American Thanksgiving. She made the whole feast, including turnips and squash, which are common dishes at Canadian Thanksgivings.
 
We had a free hot chocolate stand on the DalHousie campus on Friday with the Elders. We handed out over 100 cups of hot chocolate in an hour and talked to a lot of people. We are planning to do another one this week.




It never ceases to amaze me how the Lord places people in our path. This last week, Sister Laxton and I missed the bus to Dartmouth and were trying to figure out what we should do. As we were walking down the street, a woman that we had met briefly a couple weeks ago stopped us. We met her during street singing, during which we sing hymns for an hour or so each week as a district in downtown Halifax.  Had we not missed our bus on Thursday night, we wouldn't have run into her again. What looked like an unfortunate situation (missing the bus and not knowing how we were going to get to our dinner appointment) turned out to be the Lord guiding our steps. Whenever something bad happens in our lives, we always need to remember that the Lord is in charge. He sees the big picture and He knows where He wants us to be, but more importantly, who and what He wants us to be. I am grateful that the Lord trusts me to do His work. I have no doubt that the Lord wants me here to change ME. In the process of changing my heart as I yield it to Him, He can work through me to bless the lives of His children. It's up to each of us to decide to give our will and our hearts to Him.

I love you all and hope you are enjoying the first week of December wherever you are. Good luck with finals and wedding preparations and whatever else is happening in your lives!

Love,
Sister Maren Renda

No comments:

Post a Comment