Monday, November 11, 2013

Disney and the Lighthouse

Hello!
 
What a week this past week has been! The Lord is continually teaching me to trust in Him and I am grateful for His watchful care of me in His work.
 
On Saturday we had a concert in Yarmouth, which is about three hours from Halifax. We performed in the Beacon United Church and approximately 150 people attended the concert. The next day we attended church with the branch and performed a few more musical numbers and many of the visiting missionaries spoke or bore testimony as part of Sacrament meeting and the third hour of meetings. I am so very grateful for the talents that the Lord has given me and that He has found a way to use them to bless His children! All of the missionaries involved in these concerts feel the same gratitude and we stand in awe of Heavenly Father's ability to make this happen. These concerts are truly an opportunity for the missionaries and the members to become one in the work of salvation. We always invite the audience on Saturday night to join us for church services the next day. The concerts provide an opportunity for members to invite friends, co-workers, and acquaintances in the community to feel the Spirit and come unto Christ. Hearing the missionary experiences of the members the next day taught me that the Lord's hand is definitely in these concerts. This concert was a family concert--lots of Disney music, Peter and the Wolf, Phantom of the Opera, and a few hymns. I learned how to play the cymbal for Peter and the Wolf. I never imagined myself playing the cymbal! I can't wait to see what other things I will learn over the next year and a half! Our next concert is in two weeks in New Brunswick. It will be a classical series concert. Starting in January, we will only be doing the family concert series.
After the Yarmouth concert. 
 
By the way, the concert series is highlighted in the Canda Mormon Newsroom right now! Cool, eh? Here's the link: http://www.mormonnewsroom.ca/article/fredericton-orange-blossom-concert-benefits-food-bank
 
After church on Sunday, we went to the Cape Forchu lighthouse. When we arrived, the Calls and a few of the Elders were already there and the Elders were belting "Brightly Beams Our Father's Mercy." I have come to love this hymn and the powerful symbolism of the lighthouse in the work of salvation. (It's hymn #335.) "To us he gives the keeping of the lights along the shore." I'll send some pictures of our adventure.
 
The Cape Forchu Lighthouse
 
 
The view from Cape Forchu.  The sea is green!  It is so beautiful.
 
 
Sister Laxton, Sister Renda, Sister Lee, and Sister Echols at Cape Forchu.  It was just a little windy!
 
 I'm glad that all is well at home. No snow here yet. It's tried a few times, but it's only ever flurries. We've had a bit of rain, though. Thanks for the updates, especially on the typhoon in the Philippines. One of the members told us about that last week and I immediately thought of Sherlock and Pocahontas. I hope that all is well with everyone there and I am praying for them.
 
I realized I never told you which scripture I would like for my plaque. Alma 26:12. Choose whichever picture you like.
 
I love you all and pray for you. Keep putting your trust in the Savior Jesus Christ. He is the Son of God and through the power of the Atonement we can be cleansed and healed. I love the words of the Savior in 3 Nephi 9:13-22. His arm of mercy is continually outstretched to us. I know that He is my Savior and Redeemer. He is the reason!
 
I love you all! Have a wonderful week!
 
 
Love,
Sister Renda


 

No comments:

Post a Comment